The Bank Secretary, Legal Services and Corporate Affairs Division has three sections namely the Bank secretarial unit, the Legal services and Corporate Affairs unit. The roles of the three units are stated below.
Bank Secretary’s department
The Bank Secretary’s role includes-
- Producing accurate , timely consistent and reliable stakeholder reports (financial statements Board papers and budgets)
- Providing advice on the laws and regulations on the Bank business and the Bank’s procedures, as well as monitoring compliance on a regular basis and reporting any changes to the Board;
- Ensure enhancement of sound corporate governance principles and practices aligned to international best practices.
- Preparing agenda and requisite documents for the Board of Directors Meetings
- Arranging Board of Directors’ Meetings
- Preparing minutes of the Board of Directors Meetings,
- Monitoring ‘subsequent actions in accordance with resolutions of those meeting.’
- Facilitating Board activities;
- Coordinating between the Board of Directors and executives.
The Legal services department
- Ensures the existence of an enabling legal framework at all times
- Provides legal advice to all divisions of the Bank’ and its subsidiaries
- It is mandated with reviewing and recommending amendments to Act and statutory instruments, liaising with the Attorney General’s office.
- It checks the credibility of security documents presented by customers.